Recliners Guide is reader-supported. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more about our process here.
Physical pain, and how we deal with it, is a very individual and personal experience. Back pain is a widespread health issue in the world today. If you are one of those back pain sufferers, then you will probably benefit from using a reclining chair with lumbar support. But not all reclining chairs have lumbar support; some recliners are better for mid or upper back pain. Here we have listed ten great recliners with lumbar support that offer a variety of features.
- Editor’s Choice: Domesis Renu Leather Power Lift Chair Recliner It is definitely a wall hugger and the power lift is more than adequate. Well worth the money.
- Best Ergonomic Design: Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated Composite Materials Ergonomic Lounge These are cheap price chairs, but under casual use i think they will last an extremely long time.
- Perfect Choice: Irene House Power Lift Chair Modern Transitional Chair Lifts for Elderly I ordered this chair for my mother because her physician recommended that she use a power lift recliner chair due to her health problems.
- Great Value: Homall Recliner Chair Padded Seat Pu Leather for Living Room The quality is way better than expected..will see if it holds up well.
- Premium Lift Chair: Mcombo Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair Sofa for Elderly Lays pretty far back and can lift forward even higher than my 5′ 3″ wife likes.
8 Best Power Recliners with Lumbar Support – 2023 Reviewed
(1) Top Grain Leather – Power Lumbar Recliner
Yet another modern recliner that combines comfort with elegance. It comes with the finest material and genuine top-of-the-line leather upholstery. This leather, as well as the midnight-black color of the chair, adds a luxurious style to your living room. Additionally, this product offers adjustable headrest and lumbar support that reduces back pain. It features a soft pop-up leg rest, smooth gliding, and 360-degree swivel – suitable for nursing mothers. The recliner gets more attractive with extra features such as the two cup holders and a swivel tray. The downside of this recliner is the LED light. It should have a separate switch to turn off the base light.
(2) Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair Sofa for Elderly
Back pain and muscle pain are among the many health issues these days. But you don’t need a masseur everyday to get rid of the pain. This power lift recliner is a powerful recliner chair for back problems. The seat comes with a powerful counter-balanced lift mechanism that pushes the entire chair up. It enables the user to stand easily without asking for assistance. You can smoothly adjust the lifting or reclining position according to your comfort by touching a button. Assembly of this chair is easy since it has color-coded power connections. On the negative side, the chair does not lean back to a horizontal position.
(3) Dark Brown Dual Motor Fabric Lift Chair
If you love to take a nap or sleep in a recliner in your living room, this recliner is perfect for you. Most users claim that this chair is the best recliner chair that can reduce back pain. This chair comes with excellent features that perfectly satisfy your needs. It offers dual motors that enable the footrest and the back to move independently. Another notable feature is the adjustable lumbar support that is easy to operate. The powered-recline and other impressive features allow your body to experience the magic. The negative side is that it is not a wall hugger; it needs eighteen inches clearance from the wall.
(4) Power Lift Chair Electric Recliner Sofa for Elderly
This power lift recliner is extremely stylish and comfortable. It comes with a powered-lift mechanism that lifts you with a gentle and smooth slide. It offers eight vibrating points, four massage areas, five modes, and two intensity levels. For that, it increases the overall comfort of the chair and reduces pain and muscle stress. Additionally, the lumbar heating function works separately with vibration making stiff muscles to relax. Moreover, this chair is suitable for the elderly due to its excellent lumbar support and firm seat cushion. The downfall of this chair is the fabric that appears to be thin. Lastly, the power motor is quite slow in lifting and reclining.
(5) Home Theater Seating Big & Tall 400 lbs Capacity
One way to combat the fight against lower back pain is to have an excellent reclining chair. This home theater power recliner is the perfect option. It combines excellence and functionality, making it more attractive to its users. Additionally, this chair curbs and soothes aching backs and muscles; it is indeed worth your investment. This power recliner comes from premium grade leather to ensure unmatched durability. The chocolate-brown color of this chair perfectly blends with your interior décor. The ambient base lighting makes this chair look classy and elegant. The only negative side of this chair is the weight, which is too heavy.
(6) Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair Sofa with Massage
If you have any difficulties due to back pain and stiff muscle, then this recliner is perfect for you. The chair is excellent for people suffering from chronic back pain. It helps people with disabilities as well as the elderly to get out of the chair without assistance. This chair also provides a gentle massage to soothe stiff muscles and joints while relaxing. The other attractions of this recliner chair are the USB ports, remote control, and the cup holders. The only negative side of this chair is the weight, which is too heavy to move. One thing more, the chair does not recline to a flat position.
(7) Top Grain Nappa Leather, Power Reclining, Power Lumbar Support
This amazing theater set is one of the top recommendations of many users all over the globe. It comes with a genuine and premium-grade leather material that is breathable. This chair provides multiple remarkable features for maximum comfort and convenience. The easy to use control system helps you to adjust its settings according to your desire. Additionally, this chair offers a storage compartment at an arm’s reach to keep your stuff. A USB port comes along with this chair, so you can charge your gadget while taking a nap. On the negative side, the chair is too heavy to move if you are alone, and it is expensive as well.
(8) Wall Hugger Power Lift Heated Chair
Nothing is more daunting than having back pains and aching muscles. However, relaxing your body and muscles is simple nowadays. All you need is a recliner chair with a heated-vibrating massage like this model. It comes with breathable PU leather that is water-resistant and easy to clean. It is by far a superior lift and massage chair with a classy look. The thickly-padded back and armrest ensure extreme comfort, making it ideal for back pain sufferers. Additionally, this chair comes with eight massage points that target four zones – the upper back, the lumbar, the thigh, and the lower legs. The downfall of this chair is the height that does not fit taller people. Lastly, the chair does not fully recline.
How to Sit on a Recliner so that You Don’t have any Lower Back Pain in Future?
This Section👇 is reviewed and edited by Dr. Ahsan Manzoor, Consultant Emergency MedicineKettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Leicester, England
Sitting on a Big Recliner
- A recliner that is too high will cause pressure on the back and thighs. This will cause you to slide forward towards the chair’s front. The backrest is used to support the feet, but it will not be fully utilized. This can lead to low back discomfort.
- For semi-sitting positions, a high sit-stand stool chair can be used. In semi-sitting, transitions between sitting or standing are quick and easy. The lumbar lordosis is preserved. This posture puts more strain on the legs than sitting with a higher seat pan.
- The legs are more susceptible to swelling from high-sitting chairs. Higher chairs can cause a greater lordosis, which may offset this disadvantage. Eklund and Corlett (1987), found a decrease in stature when subjects used a very tall chair as compared to an ordinary office chair.
- It is also important to determine the length (or depth) of your seat. It should be possible to use the backrest. The seat pan must not be too thick. It is important to avoid pressing on the back of the thigh, near the knees.
- The area between the lower limbs of the legs and the seat plate is useful for facilitating rising and allowing the legs to move. The minimum clearance is about 10 cm.
- The front section of the chair should be contoured. Avoid horizontal seat plates. The job determines which slope direction the seat should take. If you work in an office environment where a desk is required frequently, it is worth considering a forward slope. A forward slope requires semi-sitting, raised seats, and is required for office work.
- Normal upright sitting calls for a slope approximately 5deg. This slope helps to support the backrest and prevents sliding when the person moves about in the chair. You can also prevent sliding by designing a seat contour and using a cover with high friction. For this reason, leather seats are not recommended.
- Use of a lumbar supports resulted is a decrease in pressure at high-pressure locations. Reclining the seat decreased the pressure by 10%. However, this was only true when the lumbar supports were not used. The support didn’t reduce the ischial tuberosity pressures by reclining the chair.
- The backrest (in an ideal recliner) should adjust in both horizontal and vertical planes. It should support lumbar spine, but not limit movement of arms or spine.
Significance of the Armrest in Providing Lumbar Support?
- For armrests, it is important to measure the length, width, height and width between them. Also, measure the distance from the front edge of the seat to the front. The armrests should not be too high. If they are too high, the person must raise his shoulders and abduct his arms.
- This happens when the armrest width to the armrest is too wide. If the armrest is too low, it will not be used. It should not be too low.
- To reduce pressure on your spine and ease of getting up from your chair, it is important that the armrests are correctly placed. However, armrests can pose a problem for some workers. Armrests that are too large or too tall can stop the chair sliding under a table. They also cause the chair to slide underneath the table.
- Safety considerations include how many feet you have on the chair and how big the base is. Castors or five-footers are recommended. They should have a radius of 300 mm to prevent tipping. A radius of 350mm is sufficient to prevent tripping over chair’s base. This dimension is dependent on the chair’s dimensions. If the chair is to be moved frequently at work, you should use wheels or casters.
How to Choose the Best Power Recliner with Lumbar Support?
Controls – To get back pain relief, you need to be familiar with the controls of a recliner. The chair should have one of these controls for pain relief: vibration, heating, massaging. The chair may still be comfortable and useful, but not enough to provide the pain relief that you need. Recliners can be expensive because of the electronic controls. You will also need an electric outlet to allow the features to work, so it might be necessary to place the chair in your home.
Style is important. Your chair should not only be functional and stylish, but also have a beautiful appearance that will fit into your home. You can choose from a modern or classic style for your recliner chair. This is where you can choose the chair that suits your style best. Leather recliners are the most durable. However, other fabrics can make the chairs look more modern. You shouldn’t sacrifice the chair’s functionality or capabilities for style.
Upgrades and additional features – Some recliners have more features and options for upgrading. Although these features and upgrades may not be necessary, it is nice to have some options for pain relief. Modern chairs have everything you need, including different massage modes and built-in battery backups and phone chargers. You will pay more for upgrades and additional features, sometimes quite a bit.
Who the Recliner is For? – Power versus Manual
- A good recliner chair can help relieve back pain. Do you want to know which recliner is best for back pain? There are two types: Manual recliner and Power recliner.
- Manual recliners work with the piston, and require the assistance of the user. The power recliner, on the other hand uses motors to move it back to its desired position. Most recliners use a lever to either release the footrest or backrest. Manual recliners are usually powered by air pistons or cases springs. If the chair is well designed, manual tilting can be very effective.
- The power recliner, on the other hand, is the most expensive type. It uses electricity to raise or lower the footrest. The remote control button is used to turn on the motor and adjust it to the desired angle.
- The power recliner is recommended for those with back pain or other health issues. You may be wondering why. Some people might have difficulty reaching the lever. It takes effort and energy to lift the chair backward. Power recliners are the best option for back pain sufferers.